TNW Logistics – Railcar Cleaning Technician
This position is responsible for assisting with general railcar operations and will be working on, in and around all types of railcars.
Additional responsibilities may include transloading from rail to truck and vice-versa, use of heavy equipment, conveyor transloading machines, auger conveyors, repair of machinery, and maintenance at other TNW properties. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or genetic information.
Reports directly to the TNW Logistics – Manager of Railcar Cleaning and Services
Reporting Location: Sunray, TX
Licenses and Certifications:
• Current driver’s license without restrictions
• Must pass power washing training and observation
• Willing to certify in confined space and HAZWOPER
• Willing to certify for forklift use
Education and Experience Preferred:
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• Any relevant prior work experience that would demonstrate aptitude and fitness necessary to be considered for training, such as, but not limited to:
o Commercial tank cleaning or sand blasting
o Work involving confined space and Lockout-Tagout on a regular basis.
o HAZWOPER certification
o Railcar repair and inspection experience
o Atmosphere monitoring experience
o Welding and cutting experience
o Work on or around railroad operations
o OSHA compliance experience
o 0-2 years’ work involving confined space and Lockout Tagout
o 0-2 years working in or around railcars
Skills and Attributes:
• Strict adherence to TNW Core Values and Strategic Pillars
• Has developed skills through formal training or considerable work experience
• Works within established procedures
• Completes work with a moderate degree of supervision
• Assist with various railcar jobs in assigned areas such as welding, blasting, and cleaning
• Able to safely handle chemicals
• Must be able to watch or be lookout for others in distress
• Must be able to rescue someone if they go down in a railcar
• Perform regular housekeeping duties as assigned
• Perform cleaning preparation and job layout tasks
• Knowledge of railcar cleaning, washing, and confined space environments
• Operate steam cleaning equipment
• Assist with minor freight car stenciling
• Able to use machines for transloading
• Ability to learn and operate heavy equipment
• Able to use radios
• Able to operate tools and equipment safely and efficiently
• 18 years of age or older
• Must be proficient in written and spoken English
• Able to follow written and oral directions
• Requires commitment to irregular work hours in support of the success of a 24/7 operation. Could work extended hours and shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
• Occasional travel may be required with overnight stays.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
o Use of proper PPE such as ear plugs, safety shields, eye protection, steel toe boots, respirators, high visual vest, etc.
o Working in confined space for extended periods of time
o Must be able to physically enter a twenty-inch diameter railcar manway opening
o Most work is scrapping and washing products out of railcars that could contain hazardous waste
o Very labor-intensive job
o Able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
o Possible heavy lifting over 50 pounds
o Occasional lifting, carrying, frequent pushing and pulling of 50 pounds
o Able to walk, stand, bend, stoop, kneel, and sit for extended periods of time
o Able to use hands to hold, grasp, turn or pull
o Able to use shovels, brooms and other hand tools
o Able to perform heavy manual labor
o Able to learn and operate equipment such as forklifts and front-end loaders
o Load rail cars with transloading equipment
o Transload material from rail car to truck and vice versa
o Able to learn the functions of conveyors, pumps and truck scales
o Perform facilities maintenance
o Able to reach over shoulder level
o Able to work with loud noises, chemicals, fumes, dirt, and dust with proper PPE
o Able to perform activities safely in the proximity of moving equipment
o Able to walk in outside conditions: snow, mud, ice, and rain
o Able to climb on/off equipment
o Able to climb ladders and grasp hand holds of railcars
o Must be able to sit and stand for extended periods of time
• Outdoors in all weather conditions (could be extreme heat, windy, cold, or wet), on uneven surfaces, on various heights of equipment, and on/around heavy machinery.
• Temperatures inside a railcar can get well above 100 degrees.
• Work is done on slippery and uneven surfaces.
• Noise level can be high.
• All PPE will be provided.
• Comply with all company and FRA and OSHA safety procedures, policies, and rules, including wearing required safety equipment, including respirators, protective suits, and boots
• Willing to submit to pre-employment background verification, medical review, and drug and alcohol screening
• Willing to submit to random drug testing during employment
TNW Corporation and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers. The duties, responsibilities, and qualifications in this posting are representative categories to be used by an applicant in deciding whether to apply for the position. These general guidelines do not
constitute an exhaustive list of qualifications or essential functions of the position.