TXNW Track Inspector
POSITION SUMMARY: Perform track inspections and repairs to maintain a safe and reliable railroad system. Conduct scheduled and unscheduled inspections of railroad track, infrastructure, and equipment. Understand and adhere to FRA Title 49, Part 214 Railroad Workplace Safety rules and standards. Oversee both the maintenance and repair activities of the railroad track and surrounding areas. Reports directly to the Roadmaster.
Reporting Locations: TXNW Railroad
All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or genetic information.
Education and Experience:
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• Must have at least 5 years’ experience in track inspection and 213 paragraph A & B qualified.
• Must have experience running a track maintenance crew
Licenses and Certifications:
• Valid state driver’s license without restrictions
Skills and Attributes:
• Strict adherence to TNW Core Values and Strategic Pillars
• Strong leadership skills
• Strong knowledge of FRA Track Safety Standards
• Strong knowledge of Roadway Worker Protection rules
• Must have full working knowledge of track maintenance and construction, applicable rules, regulations, and policies
• Able to manage and plan daily work based on priorities
• Skill in use of tools and machines for track and grounds maintenance, including a tractor and other machinery
• Able to use phones and radios
• Able to operate tools and equipment safely and efficiently
• Computer skills, including but not limited to, Microsoft Word and Excel
• 18 years of age or older
• Must be proficient in written and spoken English
• Able to follow written and oral directions
• Requires commitment to irregular work hours in support of the success of a 24/7 operation. Occasionally works extended hours and shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
• This position requires a supervisory responsibility of track maintenance crew(s).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
o Able to walk continuously for several hours to inspect track
o Able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
o Possible heavy lifting over 75 pounds
o Able to walk, stand, bend, stoop, kneel, and sit for extended periods of time
o Able to use hands to hold, grasp, turn or pull
o Able to reach over shoulder level
o Able to climb ladders
o Able to work with loud noises, chemicals, fumes, dirt, and dust
o Able to perform heavy manual labor
o Inspect track and rail structures through a variety of methods, including walking
the tracks, throwing switches and derails, riding on trains and hi-rail vehicles
using inspection tools and visual observation to detect and evaluate deviations
from company and federal/state standards and regulations.
o Able to prescribe and/or carry out remedial actions to correct or safely
compensate for track defects and deviations. Supervise restorations and
renewals of track under traffic conditions.
o Operate power and manual tools, such as spike maul, sledge, spiker puller, spade
or shovel, track wrench, track jack, and lining bar.
o Interface with operations managers to ensure efficient and organized operations
of the railroad along with the maintenance of the track.
o Have good vision to inspect track and structures
o Inspect the design, construction, condition, maintenance, and repair of railroad track, bridges, culverts, and other track supporting structures.
o Perform track inspections and repairs to assure compliance with FRA Title 49, Part 213 Track Safety Standards and Part 214 Railroad Workplace Safety to maintain a safe and reliable railroad system.
o Conduct scheduled and unscheduled inspections of railroad track, infrastructure, and equipment in accordance with FRA requirements in Title 49, Part 213 Subpart A-F.
o Document and enter inspection findings, measurements, test results, and completed repairs on the prescribed reports for management and government compliance.
o Interpret and apply federal law and regulations to ensure compliance with safety standards.
o Develop standards and procedures for track maintenance and inspection.
o Analyze, evaluate, and keep records obtained through railroad reporting
requirements and inspection reports on the condition of all inspected items and prepare FRA reporting.
o Oversee/direct production gang work.
o Inspect completed work to verify conformance to government regulations.
o Perform special inspections of the track structure in times of severe weather or other events which may damage the railroad.
• Hold daily job briefing with operations managers to ensure efficient and organized operations of the railroad along with the maintenance of the track.
• Perform other tasks necessary to the efficient operation of the railroad.
• Outdoors in all weather conditions (could be extreme heat, cold, wind, rain, or snow), on uneven surfaces. Noise level can be high.
• Comply with all company and FRA safety procedures, policies, and rules, including wearing required safety equipment.
• Demonstrate TNW Core Values of Integrity, Safety, Servant Leadership, and Quality.
• Willing to submit to pre-employment background check, drug screening and medical review.
• Willing to submit to random drug testing during employment.
• Employee must have dependable transportation and a telephone.
TNW Corporation and its railroads are Equal Opportunity Employers. The duties, responsibilities, and qualifications in this posting are representative categories to be used by an applicant in deciding whether to apply for the position. These general guidelines do not
constitute an exhaustive list of qualifications or essential functions of the position.
WE HIRE VETERANS